Monday, June 17, 2013

Pre-packed smoothies

Since Dalan and I are currently doing a Wellness Challenge we have to get in at least 5 servings of fruits and/or veggies every day. This is something we really struggled with before, but we've found something that is working really well for us. I thought I would share.

I start with some of the below ingredients. You can purchase frozen fruit at Costco for about $8-$11 a bag. Spinach at Costco is only $3.99! (let me apologize for the crazy shadows, we have stage lighting in our kitchen. I think it's to help ward of depression or something.....)
 photo DSC_0268_sized_zpsfaac9d72.jpg

I freeze the yogurt in ice cube trays. This makes it easier to measure and separate later on. I used vanilla and blackberry yogurt this time. 
 photo DSC_0269_sized_zps7e04c536.jpg 

I add 5-6 yogurt cubes, 2 servings frozen fruit, and 1 banana to each bag. I'll mix it up by adding spinach and different types of fruit to each. The bag on the left has yogurt, spinach, banana, raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries. The bag on the right is yogurt, mango, pineapple, papaya, strawberries, and banana. Each bag is usually about 4 servings of fruit. After I make the bags, they just go in the freezer.
 photo DSC_0270_sized_zpsb2321e9e.jpg 

When I'm ready for a smoothie, I add the bag and about 1 cup of juice in my Ninja® Master Prep®
 photo DSC_0271_sized_zpsd1a4685f.jpg 

I really like this thing. It is SO easy to clean. Thanks Mom!
 photo DSC_0272_sized_zps019d8441.jpg 

 photo DSC_0273_sized_zpsf8fdb972.jpg 

Then I just separate it into a cup for me and a to-go gup for Dalan so he can have it on his way to work in the morning. They will keep for about 2 days in the fridge, so I'll usually make them the night before so Dalan has something ready when he leaves @ 5:30am. 
 photo DSC_0275_sized_zps224a4e63.jpg

TaDa! What helpful hints do you have to help you eat healthy?

Pin It!

No comments: